Tuesday, April 7, 2009

New York Raw Lovin'

(Raw Enchillada from Raw Soul)

I took a well needed break from DC this past weekend and headed home to New York for a couple of days. My sister had her baby shower on Saturday so other than that event, I pretty much had the weekend to myself. I took an early bus on Saturday morning that dropped off at 34th street and then I proceeded to head uptown to see my mom. She recently started working at a restaurant called Raw Soul which is located on 145th Street between St. Nicholas and Edgecombe (for those of you who are familiar with the city, it is right off of the A/C train stop at 145th street). Since working there, she has really honed in on her raw food 'un-cooking' craft. If you look at some of my posts from last summer, I have a few photos up of some salads and other things she made for me when my leg was broken. Those were good, but nothing compared to what she's able to whip up now.


(Raw BBQ Burger from Raw Soul)

When I finally arrived uptown and saw my mother, she had a couple of raw dishes readily available for me to try. One was the Raw Enchillada which I had never seen or heard of before. It looked really good and it tasted even better. I believe that it is a new addition to the Raw Soul menu so for any of you in the NY area, I would encourage you to go ahead and give it a try. The second dish she had readily available was the BBQ Burger. I've tried this burger before and actually passed on tasting it this time because the last one I ordered from Raw Soul had this Horse Fly in it. I should be over that incident by now but that was all I could think of when I saw that burger.

Unfortunately, this was the only run-in I had with raw food during my stay in the city but I come home for the summer in about 6 weeks and I'm excited to do a tour of many more restaurants and see what new dishes I've been missing out on this year.

By the way, I heard that Jill's Cafe in Brooklyn is no longer?!?! That was my favorite raw food restaurant in the city. Anyone know anything about this?

Raw. Love.
-Natalie

2 comments:

bitt said...

raw soul looks good! I hadn't heard of it. next time i'm in NYC i will check it out.

VegantoRAW said...

You most certainly should! As I said, my Mom works there so she can hook you up if you ever stop by.