Friday, April 10, 2009

No More University Cash?!?!

(Lunch)

At the beginning of the school year, I wrote a post that went into detail about the dining situation at my college. I think that I was sort of content with it back then but now, I just can't stand it. Maybe I'm only saying that because I ran out of money yesterday with more than a month left in the semester...or maybe it really just sucks.

Just to put it out there, I'm actually quite an effective budgeter. I think that the fundamental difference between my spending habits and those of my peers is the fact that I eat healthier, and as we all know, sometimes healthy options can cost significantly more than unhealthy options.

For example: I don't drink cow's milk, which costs $3.49 per gallon at Safeway (the grocery store where most students shop). I do, however, drink soy, rice, and almond milk, which costs, on average, $9 per gallon at Safeway. Now, I maybe drink somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 gallons per week so we're talking anywhere from $4.50 - $6.75 spent on a weeks worth of milk. I'm not mad about this, but I guess I'm just a little perplexed by the fact that my resources are drying up quicker because I choose to be healthier.

So, with the drying up of my funds comes the good and the bad. The bad is obvious; I no longer have 'free' money to spend on food. The good is a little less obvious; now I have the freedom to shop wherever I please since I'm now using my own money. True, I could have shopped anywhere I wanted before but in the interest of saving money, I used the university cash. Now that that is moot, I now have to spend my own money out of obligation and I can finally venture outside of the 9 square city blocks of campus.

First stop? Whole Foods.

Raw. Love.
-Natalie


No comments: