Thursday, May 7, 2009

Skinny Bitch/Bastard in the NY Times

(Article about Skinny Bastard that was in the Arts sections of the New York Times)

During one of my recent New York Times adventures, I came across an article about authors Kim Barnouin and Rory Freedman and their new book Skinny Bastard. For those of you who've read some of my posts from last spring, you know that two books were heavily responsible for my bodily transformation: Body-for-Life (Bill Phillips) and Skinny Bitch. I have to say though that the latter had more of an overall influence on me because the authors really broke down the effects of animal products on the human body in a manner that was easy for me to understand. Skinny Bitch is the only book in the series that I own but in my bookstore travels, I've also had a chance to skim through Skinny Bitch in the Kitch (their cookbook) and Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven (for women who are pregnant). All of them are excellent resources for anyone who is interested in pursuing a healthier lifestlye and are ready to turn things around; and I speak from personal experience when I say that.

(Authors Kim Barnouin and Rory Freedman)

I can imagine that the two authors may have had a hard time figuring out how to approach writing this book because dieting is typically thought of as a 'woman' thing...even though having sound eating habits is equally as important for men. The article stated that when it comes to dieting, men are more concerned about health than vanity...so trying to coerce a guy to diet in order to get rid of his 'man boobs' wouldn't be as effective as telling him that the amount of hamburgers he eats can lead to diabetes and heart disease.

I'm going to order Skinny Bastard off of Amazon.com in the coming weeks because I think that it may have some universal information that wouldn't only be valuable for men, but for women as well. One ironic speculation that the article pointed out was that women are probably more likely to buy this book than men...I guess I fall into that pool huh.

If any of you decide to go out and purchase this or any of their other books, be sure to leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

Raw. Love.
-Natalie




No comments: